The Division of Early Care and Education (ECE) is aware the spread of COVID-19 has created a challenging situation for parents and child care providers. The ECE will make every effort to assist with maintaining vital child care services by making certain adjustments that are permitted under current federal CCDF policy. These adjustments are being made with the intent to assist child care subsidy providers through the temporary economic crisis and help provide continuity of care for children and families.
As of March 20, 2020, for WV child care providers who are affected by the COVID-19 crisis, the following will be in place
- Through the COVID-19 crisis and until further notice, child care providers will receive reimbursement based upon the enrollment of subsidy eligible children, rather than by attendance. The enrollment reimbursement will be based upon what is normal attendance for each individual subsidy eligible child. You may bill for your subsidy children even if you have made the decision to close.
- All providers will submit the Child Care Attendance forms as usual but when the subsidy child(ren) are not in attendance, the provider will enter “COVID-19 Absence” in the parent signature line(s). Parent signatures are not required for days when the child is NOT in attendance.
- All providers may submit payment request for 22 full days for the month of March 2020 for subsidy eligible children. (the month of April will be evaluated as the crisis evolves.)
- Should the provider stay open and provide care for more than 22 days, the provider may submit payment request for the child(ren) who were actually in care and child care services rendered.
- For providers to be paid more than the 22 days, the subsidy eligible child(ren) must have actually been in care and received child care services. In this case, parent signatures are required.
Child attendance during the temporary COVID-19 emergency will be at the parent’s discretion. However, parents must advise providers of their intention to attend or not attend so that providers can make staffing arrangements as necessary.
Please feel free to contact your local Child Care Resource & Referral Agency should you have questions.
Diana Gillispie LSW
Child Care Policy Specialist
WV DHHR/Division of Early Care and Education
1027 N. Randolph Avenue
Elkins, WV 26241
Phone: 304-637-5560 x2022